For patients and their families, being treated with respect and a positive attitude can make all the difference in the world. The Health Unit Coordinator is the first point of contact for all patients and visitors to the floor, serving as the face of the unit as well as scheduling patients for tests and procedures, arranging transport, and responding to patient requests.
If you're proactive, highly organized, and like to greet people with a smile, then the Health Unit Coordinator role is perfect for you!
UPMC Hamot is looking to hire a Full-Time Health Unit Coordinator to help support the Emergency Department (ED) located at Hamot's Medical Center in Erie, PA. Health Unit Coordinators work a rotating 12 hour schedule to ensure 24/7 coverage on the floor. This position will require you to work primarily evening and night shifts.
Responsibilities of the Health Unit Coordinator for the ED includes:
* Greeting all patients, family members, visitors and staff members. * Assisting with all communications regarding the department, accurately updates and maintains patient flow process and coordinate patient tests and procedures.
* Constructively receives feedback and direction. * Identifies and communicates learning needs to the unit director. * Takes action to improve knowledge, skills and performance. * *Serves as a resource for staff and other disciplines. * Serves as a preceptor for new staff members. * Prior to performing new or challenging tasks, requests assistance and reviews relevant policies and procedures. * Requests assistance in planning and prioritizing activities as needed. Participates in self-review as requested by the unit director. * Participates in project and committee work. * Maintains accurate unit communication including, but not limited to, promptly answering telephones, activating the paging system, facilitating timely faxing, and distributing patient and unit mail. * Greets and assists visitors, physicians and other staff members. * Utilizes hospital information systems, including but not limited to eRecord, MARS, Medipac, Bedboard, and Teletracking. * Updates Bedboard per unit standards and communicates changes to appropriate staff as needed. * Enters and communicates physician orders timely and accurately. * Maintains the medical record and patient chart according to established policy. * Assures that patient identification plate is correct and that patient identification labels are available at all times. * Coordinates other unit activities including, but not limited to scheduling of tests and procedures, scheduling patient transports, completing errands, maintaining appropriate logs and filing reports appropriately. * Maintains office equipment including, but not limited to, computers, telephones, refrigerator temperatures, printers, and fax machines. * Submits repair requests to the appropriate departments and follows up as needed. * Reports Bedboard discrepancies to Bed Flow Coordinator, or appropriate person. * Establishes appropriate and effective communication strategies. * Establishes professional and respectful interpersonal relationships. * Maintains par levels for designated supplies and forms including down time folders. * Rounds through family lounge to assure proper items are stocked and room is maintained. * Reconciles charges accordingly including but not limited to custom braces and CRRT. * Performs unit audits as directed. * Initiates quiet time or monitors noise level. * Strictly adheres to all policies and practices relative to patient care and hospital related information. * Adheres to HIPAA and blocked policies. * Complies with safety policies and procedures including standard precautions. * Performs assigned work in a timely and productive manner. * Suggests and supports changes within the department. * Assumes responsibility for assignments and views problems as challenges. * Demonstrates awareness of how one's own behavior impacts the efficient functioning of the department.
* High school diploma or equivalent.Knowledge of medical terminology and computer applications. * Ability to effectively communicate both orally and in writing. * Completion of a Certified Health Unit Secretary course preferred.In the course of duties may be asked to distribute medications to the nurse at the bedside. * Access to medications is limited to the distribution of the medication to the nurse.
Licensure, Certifications, and Clearances:
* Act 31 within 90 days of hire or transfer * Act 31 Clearance * Act 33 Child Clearance with Renewal * Act 34 Criminal Clearance with Renewal * Act 73 FBI Clearance
UPMC is an equal opportunity employer. Minority/Females/Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
* The salary listed in the header is an estimate based on salary data for similar jobs in the same area. Salary or compensation data found in the job description is accurate.