Since 1851, MassMutual's commitment has always been to help people protect their families, support their communities, and help one another. This is why we want to inspire people to Live Mutual. We're people helping people.
A career with us means you will work alongside exceptional people and be empowered to reach your professional and personal goals. Our employees are the foundation of what makes MassMutual a strong, stable and ethical business. We seek and value unique and varied perspectives and experiences because we believe we are stronger when all voices are heard. We invite you to bring your bright, innovative ideas to MassMutual as we continue to help millions of Americans rely on each other.
Together, we're stronger. Description
The MassMutual Data Engineering Group in the Customer Experience Organization is seeking an outstanding API engineer to join our team in Data Engineering. The successful candidate will work with fellow engineers and enterprise stakeholders to develop API's for the various data driven systems we have to help us transform the insurance industry.
The successful applicant will be expected to quickly learn new cutting-edge technologies, technical concepts, and complex problem spaces. The applicant must possess a solid understanding of computer science fundamentals, including database fundamentals and web-based API's enabling business applications and usage at scale.
Current projects include:
- Design and develop API's using REST, in Python, Node.js, Java and Scala to provide data integration functionality for the diverse financial and life insurance data.
- Working with the different company business units to map and integrate disparate data from a variety of source systems using API microservices pattern
- Working closely with a team of highly skilled data and API engineers to help connect and integrate webservices across the enterprise.
- Be self-supportive in collaborating with your peers to effectively deliver robust solutions for the business
- Write tested, robust code that can be quickly moved into production
- Work seamlessly in an agile environment with engineers, product managers, business analysts, and designers to understand end-user requirements
- Support-what-you-build, including monitoring, performance tuning, and responding to incidents
- 4+ years of experience with full stack development, including application, API, testing, and automation experience using at least one of the following languages - Python, Java, Scala
- Experience with the following:
- SQL for database schema design (Postgres, MySQL, SQL Server, etc.)
- Application security best practices
- Software and system architecture
- Advanced experience with open source web application frameworks (Node.js / Play etc.)
- Advanced experience with unit test frameworks (scala test / mocha / junit / jasmine etc.)
- Developing RESTful APIs and API Gateway integration (Kong / Apigee etc.)
- Continuous integration server(s) (Jenkins / TeamCity / GoCD etc.) and continuous deployments
- Cloud experience (AWS / Azure etc.)
- Experience with containers (Docker, Kubernetes, etc)
- Experience working in an agile environment and collaborating with the team to solve technical challenges using rapid and iterative development
- Superior communication skills with the ability to work directly with business partners
- Authorized to work in the US without sponsorship now or in the future
- 6+ years of experience with full stack development, including application, API, testing, and automation experience preferred
- Advanced experience with Cloud providers ( AWS / Azure )
- Advanced Database design and administration
- Advanced experience with containers (Docker, Kubernetes, etc)
- Degree in Math or Computer Science preferred
- Graduate degree is a plus
Ranked No. 93 in the annual FORTUNE 500 Ranking (FORTUNE Magazine, June 2018) and recognized as a World's Most Ethical Company by Ethisphere, MassMutual is guided by a single purpose: We help people secure their future and protect the ones they love. As a company owned by our policyowners, we are defined by mutuality and our vision to put customers first. It's more than our company structure - it's our way of life. We are a company of people protecting people. Our company exists because people are willing to share risk and resources, and rely on each other when it counts. At MassMutual, we Live Mutual.CORE VALUESFocus on the Customer:
We understand our customers well and look for every opportunity to deliver an experience that is clear, easy, personal, human, empowering and trustworthy.Act with Integrity:
We deliver on our promises by being open, honest and humble and by adhering to the letter and spirit of applicable laws, rules, regulations and company policies.Value People:
We respect and learn from each other's diverse backgrounds, experiences and ideas. We engage and develop people to their greatest potential.Work Collaboratively:
We work together to achieve results by actively listening, seeking, understanding and creating solutions as a unified team driving toward one company, one culture, one brand.Achieve Results:
We focus on winning by exceeding expectations and getting better - everyone, every day.
For more information, visit or find us on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube, Google+, Instagram and Pinterest.
MassMutual is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer Minority/Female/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Individual with Disability/Protected Veteran. We welcome all persons to apply. Note: Veterans are welcome to apply, regardless of their discharge status.